Author + information
- Received September 5, 2017
- Revision received November 13, 2017
- Accepted November 13, 2017
- Published online April 11, 2018.
- Mary E. Keebler, MDa,∗ (, )
- Elias V. Haddad, MDa,
- Chun W. Choi, MDb,
- Stuart McGrane, MBChBc,
- Sandip Zalawadiya, MDa,
- Kelly H. Schlendorf, MDa,
- D. Marshall Brinkley, MDa,
- Matthew R. Danter, MDb,
- Mark Wigger, MDa,
- Jonathan N. Menachem, MDa,
- Ashish Shah, MDb and
- JoAnn Lindenfeld, MDa
- aDivision of Cardiovascular Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee
- bDepartment of Cardiac Surgery, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee
- cDivision of Anesthesiology Critical Care Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee
- ↵∗Address for correspondence:
Dr. Mary E. Keebler, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, 1215 21st Avenue South, MCE 5th Floor, Suite 5209, Nashville, Tennessee 37232-8802.
Venoarterial extracorporeal membrane oxygenation has emerged as a viable treatment for patients in cardiogenic shock with biventricular failure and pulmonary dysfunction. Advances in pump and oxygenator technology, cannulation strategies, patient selection and management, and durable mechanical circulatory support have contributed to expanded utilization of this technology. However, challenges remain that require investigation to improve outcomes.
Abbott/St Jude provided travel funds to review Oklahoma ECMO Program. Dr. Haddad has served as a consultant for Abiomed. Dr. Lindenfeld has served as a consultant for Novartis, AstraZeneca, Resmed, Relypsa, VWave, CVRx, Cardionomic, Abbott, and Edwards. All other authors have reported that they have no relationships relevant to the contents of this paper to disclose. Barry H. Greenberg, MD, served as Guest Editor for this paper.
- Received September 5, 2017.
- Revision received November 13, 2017.
- Accepted November 13, 2017.
- 2018 American College of Cardiology Foundation
This article requires a subscription or purchase to view the full text. If you are a subscriber or member, click Login or the Subscribe link (top menu above) to access this article.