Author + information
- Received December 3, 2015
- Revision received December 22, 2015
- Accepted January 8, 2016
- Published online June 1, 2016.
- Robert J. Mentz, MDa,∗ (, )
- Lothar Roessig, MDb,
- Barry H. Greenberg, MDc,
- Naoki Sato, MD, PhDd,
- Kaori Shinagawa, MD, PhDe,
- Daniel Yeo, MBBSf,
- Bernard W.K. Kwok, MBBSg,
- Eugenio B. Reyes, MDh,
- Henry Krum, MBBS, PhDi,†,
- Burkert Pieske, MDj,
- Stephen J. Greene, MDa,
- Andrew P. Ambrosy, MDa,
- Jacob P. Kelly, MDa,
- Faiez Zannad, MDk,l,m,n,o,
- Bertram Pitt, MDp and
- Carolyn S.P. Lam, MBBSq
- aDuke Clinical Research Institute and the Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina
- bBayer HealthCare, Wuppertal, Germany
- cDivision of Cardiology, University of California San Diego, San Diego, California
- dInternal Medicine, Cardiology, and Intensive Care Medicine, Nippon Medical School Musashi-Kosugi Hospital, Kawasaki, Kanagawa, Japan
- eOffice of New Drug II, Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices Agency, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Japan
- fGleneagles Hospital, Singapore
- gFarrer Park Medical Centre, Singapore
- hCardiology, Manila Doctors Hospital, Manila, Philippines
- iCentre of Cardiovascular Research and Education in Therapeutics, School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
- jDepartment of Cardiology, Charité University Medicine, Campus Virchow Klinikum, and German Heart Center Berlin, Berlin, Germany
- kINSERM, Centre d'Investigations Cliniques-Plurithématique 1433, Vandoeuvre-lès-Nancy, France
- lINSERM U1116, Nancy, France
- mUniversité de Lorraine, Nancy, France
- nCHU Nancy, Pôle de Cardiologie, Institut Lorrain du Cœur et des Vaisseaux, Vandoeuvre-lès-Nancy, France
- oF-CRIN INI-CRCT (Cardiovascular and Renal Clinical Trialists), Nancy, France
- pUniversity of Michigan School of Medicine, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- qNational Heart Centre Singapore and Duke-National University of Singapore, Singapore
- ↵∗Reprint requests and correspondence:
Dr. Robert J. Mentz, Duke Clinical Research Institute, 2301 Erwin Road, PO Box 17969, Durham, North Carolina 27715.
Heart failure (HF) is a major and increasing global public health problem. In Asia, aging populations and recent increases in cardiovascular risk factors have contributed to a particularly high burden of HF, with outcomes that are poorer than those in the rest of the world. Representation of Asians in landmark HF trials has been variable. In addition, HF patients from Asia demonstrate clinical differences from patients in other geographic regions. Thus, the generalizability of some clinical trial results to the Asian population remains uncertain. In this article, we review differences in HF phenotype, HF management, and outcomes in patients from East and Southeast Asia. We describe lessons learned in Asia from recent HF registries and clinical trial databases and outline strategies to improve the potential for success in future trials. This review is based on discussions among scientists, clinical trialists, industry representatives, and regulatory representatives at the CardioVascular Clinical Trialist Asia Forum in Singapore on July 4, 2014.
↵† Dr. Henry Krum died November 28, 2015.
Dr. Mentz is supported by National Institutes of Health grant U10HL110312. Dr. Roessig is an employee of Bayer HealthCare. Dr. Greenberg is a consultant for Novartis. All other authors have reported that they have no relationships relevant to the contents of this paper to disclose.
- Received December 3, 2015.
- Revision received December 22, 2015.
- Accepted January 8, 2016.
- American College of Cardiology Foundation